- Completion of Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) Basic Physician Training, including successful completion of the RACP written and clinical examinations
- Employment in an accredited Advanced Training position in Cardiology
- Refer to the Royal Australasian College of Physicians for further information in relation to selection into the training program
Total Training Time
6 years (full-time)
Basic Adult Medicine: 36 months (full-time)
- 24 months (full-time) core training (including three months general and acute care medicine and 12 months in medical specialities)
- Maximum of twelve months non-core training
Advanced Training: 36 months (full-time) core training
How to apply for a specialist training position in Cardiology
Applicants will first need to complete Basic Physician training and can apply at Queensland Basic Physician Training Network (Adult Medicine).
Queensland Basic Physician Training Network (Adult Medicine)
Applicants applying to one of the Queensland Networks need to refer to the network websites before proceeding, depending on whether you're applying for Queensland Basic Physician Training Network (Adult Medicine) or Queensland General Medicine Advanced Training Network. The Queensland Basic Physician Network provides centralised recruitment, selection and allocation of BPTs intending to commence their second or third year of basic physician training in Queensland. First Year basic training positions are recruited directly by the individual Hospital and Health Service (HHS) within Queensland - NOT via the network. These appointments are generally at the JHO or SHO level and information relating to these positions can be accessed via the available positions within each hospital.
All training positions are managed centrally through Queensland Cardiology Advanced Training Pathway. Apply online through the Resident Medical Officer (RMO) campaign.
Get your guide to help map your Cardiology training pathway in northern Queensland:
Find out more about Queensland-specific workforce demographics and specialty information.
If you would like to get more information on training in Cardiology, please contact us.