- Completion of Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) Basic Physician Training, including the RACP written and clinical examinations
- Fellowship with an approved College, Division or Faculty (see RACP website for details)
- General medical registration
- Employment in an accredited advanced training position
- Refer to the Royal Australasian College of Physicians for further information in relation to selection into the training program
Total Training Time
6 years (full-time)
Basic Adult Medicine: 36 months (full-time) basic training
- 24 months (full-time) core training (including three months General and Acute Care Medicine and 12 months in medical specialities)
- Maximum of 12 months non-core training
Advanced Sexual Health Medicine: 36 months (full-time) core training
How to apply for a specialist training position in Sexual Health Medicine
Applications will first need to complete Basic Physician training and can apply through the Queensland Basic Physician Training (Adult Medicine Network).
Queensland Basic Physician Training Network (Adult Medicine)
The Queensland Basic Physician Training (Adult Medicine) Network is a statewide network designed to support Queensland Trainees over the 3-year course of basic training.
Queensland Health is responsible for and oversees the Queensland Basic Training (Adult Medicine) network. In Queensland, approval of basic training is limited to medical officers that have been formally selected into one of the 5 Training networks. In order to be eligible for a network position prior to commencement of training, applicants must hold general registration with AHPRA, be eligible for registration with RACP as a basic physician trainee and have a minimum of 20 weeks experience in general medicine or medical specialties further outlined here.
Get your guide to help map your Sexual Health Medicine training pathway in northern Queensland:
Find out more about Queensland-specific workforce demographics and specialty information.
If you would like to get more information on training in Sexual Health Medicine, please contact us.