- General medical registration
- Completion of PGY1
- Refer to the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists for further information on selection and/or eligibility
Total Training Time
minimum 5 years (full-time)
- 12 months (full-time) Stage 1 Basic level adult psychiatry (includes 6 months in an acute setting)
- 24 months (full-time) Stage 2 Proficient level rotations
- 24 months (full-time) Stage 3 Advanced level rotations
How to apply for a specialist training position in Psychiatry
Queensland Health Directors of Hospital and Health Services in conjunction with the Queensland Branch Training Committee (QBTC) and Office of Postgraduate Training in Psychiatry (PGT) oversee Psychiatry training rotation placements into Queensland facilities, and successful completion of the program allows trainees eligibility to become Fellows of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists RANZCP. Applicants must complete the Preference form to be submitted to Postgraduate Training in Psychiatry (PGT) at the same time as completing and submitting an online RMO application through the Resident Medical Officer (RMO) campaign.
Get your guide to help map your Psychiatry training pathway in northern Queensland:
Find out more about Queensland-specific workforce demographics and specialty information.
If you would like to get more information on training in Psychiatry, please contact us.