- Australia or New Zealand Permanent Resident or Citizen
- General medical registration
- Completion of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) Hand Hygiene Learning Module
- Completion of PGY2
- Completed the RACS “Operating with Respect” eLearning module
- Completion of the Generic Surgical Sciences exam
Cardiothoracic Surgery Specific Eligibility Criteria:
- Complete two surgical rotations of a minimum duration of ten continuous weeks each. The rotations must have been undertaken within the last five years and must be taken separately irrespective of the cumulative total of the rotation
- Please note, a Cardiac or Thoracic rotation will not be counted as a Cardiothoracic Surgical rotation. Complete one Cardiothoracic Surgical rotation of a minimum of ten continuous weeks each. This rotation must have been undertaken within the last five years
- Completion of three Direct Observation of Procedural Skills in Surgery (DOPS). Please refer to DOPS for more information
- Refer to the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons for further information on selection and/or eligibility
Total Training Time
6 years (full time)
- SET 1: Satisfactory completion of four three-month terms (full-time)
- SET 2-6: Five years (full-time) of satisfactory experience in Cardiothoracic Surgery training
How to apply for a specialist training position in Cardiothoracic Surgery
Applicants must first register with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) in accordance with the Registration for SET Selection policy.
Queensland Health offers a central allocations program for SET 1 Principal House Officer (PHO) applications in General Surgery through the RMO Campaign.
Selection to SET 2-5 Cardiothoracic Surgery Registrar positions in Queensland is managed by the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS) and applicants apply directly via the RACS online application system.
Applicants who are successful with RACS will need to apply to the Queensland Health RMO Campaign for an employment contract to be issued by the allocated facility.
Get your guide to help map your Cardiothoracic Surgery training pathway in northern Queensland:
Find out more about Queensland-specific workforce demographics and specialty information.
If you would like to get more information on training in Cardiothoracic Surgery , please contact us.